"He causeth the grass to grow for food, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth a man's heart." ~Psalm 104: 14-15

Monday

Sage research: looks fine for me! :]

Sage research

A Concise summery: 

Robert Tisserand has the clearest most researched info I could find. (he works with essential oils...http://www.roberttisserand.com/about/robert-tisserand)  This is what he has to say about sage oil:
"Sclareol does have an interesting anticancer activity, including in vitro action against human breast cancer MCF-7 cells (Dimas et al 2006). An isomer, 13-epi-sclareol, which is also present in clary sage oil, inhibits the growth of breast and uterine cancers in vitro, and was slightly more potent than Tamoxifen, but was not toxic to normal cells (Sashidhara et al 2007). This suggests the possibility that sclareol might actually inhibit estrogen, and might after all have some capacity to interact with estrogen receptor sites. What we do know is that sclareol will not give you breast cancer."
as well as the following in reply to a comment looking for clarification:
"Sue, the science strongly suggests that clary sage oil has no estrogenic action."

Other things I found about sage, clary sage, and sage oil" 

Some Claims:

My Conclusions: 

So for myself, I've concluded that sage will be fine to use; it looks like it will not be giving me cancer if I make sage oil to include in my "Scent-Prevent" concoction, nor does it appear to pose a problem if I should include it in my hair rinse concoctions. Hurray!

A caution: 

This herb is listed amongst herbs not considered safe for use during pregnancy and can cause milk to dry up. 

*added June 12, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Other ideas or sources? Share 'em here!