"He causeth the grass to grow for food, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth a man's heart." ~Psalm 104: 14-15

Monday

Spicy Mexican "red hot" Tea!


It was a cold and drippy evening, as I set out the supper. It had been prepared in the warmer morning, and left to me to serve later. Chilled chicken salad and a nice cold pudding. Oh! How could I dish that up to all the children, as they'd walk in from the rain? They need something hot to warm them from the inside on out. I know! A nice hot drink...but what? At least start a big pot of water to boil.... With all the colds and sore throats, hot coco won't help them... Tea? It's too late in the day to be serving children tea.... It's almost 6 O'clock now, too late to run back to my house for sweet herbs.... I know!  Add a little of this, a big splash of that~and there! Spicy, hot, "decaffeinated" cup of healthy, heating treat.

*last updated Oct 2014


Spicy Mexican "red hot" Tea:

  • a great big pot of simmering water (at least 10 to 20 cups of water)
  • 1-3 great big sweet cinnamon sticks all broken up
  • 10 small bags tea (I used "decaffeinated" lipton tea; if it's not last minute and your things are closer at hand, much better options would be: 8 tsp organic black tea or 10 tsp red roobios tea
  • a big splash of vanilla extract
  • more than you meant to (but not too much!) Cayenne Pepper Powder
  • 2 cones of Mexican (unrefined) sugar, or use sucanat/rapadura.

There you go! Steaming hot and Mexicanly spicy, with a sweet tingle of toasty vanilla, this tea gives the little ones something to smile about!

This post is shared on An Autumn Tea, the Art of Home-Making Mondays, Wildcrafting Wednesday Christmas Edition  

6 comments:

  1. Your spicy red hot tea sounds wonderful! I love spicy tea! Thank you for sharing at Tea Time and Happy Autumn!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you get to make some soon ~ Enjoy!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, teaming hot and spicy tea.... I might just have to try that.... though probably will go light on the cayenne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good idea! :] I did make it for children, but they were mexican children, so... ;)
      I really liked it though, and I don't do "spicy" very much. :)

      Delete
  3. It sounds wonderful for chilly weather but I would have to go light on the cayenne too! What kind of work do you do with the children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Oh... that's a story for another blog.) I don't do spicy myself at all, but I really was able to enjoy this tea! My tiny bit was more than I'd planned, but it turned out great. :]

      Delete

So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Other ideas or sources? Share 'em here!