"He causeth the grass to grow for food, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth a man's heart." ~Psalm 104: 14-15

Wednesday

Health & Safety Traveling Tip #1 Seat Belts


  3 Stories on why you should Always wear your seat belt. 


Story #1 Back-roads and Belt-less

  While traveling in a third-world country this year, I ended up in the back of a van without a seat-belt.  I didn't think too much of it, despite my normal absolute instance (see below for the first-grader with broken arm story) on wearing a seat-belt in any moving vehicle.  But this was in another country, a small road,  with nobody around for kilometers. What did I have to worry about? Nothing.  Or so I thought.  --To be continued

 I'll get back to what happened next, but first, a couple other stories...

Story # 2: A Sad Tale


  There's a sad story.  It happened after graduation one year. Miss White, riding on the back of a car across the parking lot, with her arms full of flowers for her mom; she was so happy. Until they hit a speed-bump. She fell, and hit her head. Then followed years of heartache for her parents, as she lived unable to speak or move.Years later she died. It was so tragic.


Story # 3 "Seat Belts: Your Single Most Effective Safety Step."


   Then on the other-hand, there's a story with a happier ending. My little, pesky brother didn't quite get the idea of minding his own business - not when it came to people who'd drive away from out house not wearing seat-belts. He would always say something. Now, let me tell you, I'm all for for seat-belts. Completely. All the time. (As a small child I had a very serious compound fracture, and while being put in a car to drive to meet the ambulance, all I could sob out, as I held my bloody arm with the other was "put my seat-belt on! put my seat-belt on!") But, sadly, I felt it was a faux pas to say something to our guests. So I didn't say anything. (And though I may have tried shushing my brother, happily- I failed!)
  One day, a family friend told us that he'd saved her life! She said she used to be in the habit of not putting on her seat-belt. But just to humor my little brother, she had started using it - at least as she'd leave our home. Then at her house, it was a little more automatic since, as she'd backed out of her own driveway, she could just hear (remember) his little voice telling her to "put you seat-belt on!" So she just did. Then one day, after remembering that cute little boy, and making good use of her seat-belt, she was hit and in an awful accident. But, since she buckled-up, she was kept in her seat, inside the car, and was spared a nasty death!

Story #1 continued: Belt-less and BANG


  So back to my first story. There I was, in the back of the van, digging through my purse, and seat-belt-less. So there we were; tired, hot, and ready to get out of there. We couldn't wait to get back to the hotel for a swim, cold shower, and AC. We zipped along that dirt road like it was nothing. Then in the middle of nowhere there was a huge bump in the road, the same color dirt as everything else, including the road. Bump, went the van. and BANG, went my head! I flew up and hit the ceiling. My head banged, then my neck bent over to the side. Wow, did that hurt or what! What we thought was no big deal (no seat-belts), was a very big deal: I ended up with a concision. Dizzy and dazed for two days, couldn't focus and think straight, and I didn't want to swim anymore either.



  Car accidents are being called "crashes" by the authorities these days, when people die due to lack of seat-belt use (often being thrown from the car); "it's no accident, it could have been prevented. Easily." -CHP Officer last week reporting on the local news deaths of some teens who were thrown from their car, which then rolled on-top of them, killing them.  It didn't have to happen; but it happens all the time.  Comma, concussion, flying off (or through the window) of a car, does not feel good. It doesn't end well.


Do yourself a huge favor this summer; properly wear your seat-belt!

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! I couldn't stop reading this post...you are an excellent writer! I hope your poor head is much better now ;) Your little brother was a life-saver. I am so thankful he said that to her!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow~Oh thank you so much! I just felt compelled to get this out there; wrote it in one sitting, edited it in another.(When I should have been doing other things -like packing!) :]
    My head is alright-as long as I remember the Doc's advice and stay off the roller-coasters! (Ah! I forgot once, and felt strange the rest of the day~pay attention to your Dr!)
    Yes, we all were thankful, and she just praised God for his sweet little words!
    Have you ever heard of Corrie Belle Hollister? A fictional character, but like a dear friend! She learns to write "personal interest stories"...I'm just re-reading the series...it's inspiring! :]
    Thank you for taking time to leave a comment-and such a nice one too! :D I look forward to reading more on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Other ideas or sources? Share 'em here!