"He causeth the grass to grow for food, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth a man's heart." ~Psalm 104: 14-15

Thursday

This week... kitchen unpacking!

This week is unpacking week around here. Seems to happen often...maybe that's where the nickname of "Gypsy" came from...? :)  Not a lot of blogging happening lately due to the move, but the next post is in the works...


I don't know if mine would qualify as a "real food" kitchen yet (like the small one in the Real Food Kitchen Tour that Katie Mae of Nourishing Simplicity is so wisely making use of), but I do have a little crock for fermenting, and some lovely starters in the fridge, as well as a great book that was also a gift, called The Lost Art of Real Cooking (which has my favorite challah bread recipe!)...



Had a lot of help from some great guys (a.k.a. my family) and now am more fully moving into my little studio-style place, especially the small kitchen. 

Yay! Sink has plumbing now!

I guess "small kitchen" doesn't really describe what I have...more like "mini kitchenette!" 


Before the move-in.

I'm so happy to have a place to work on my concoctions and cooking...hope to get some recipe photos up over the summer, as I continue the Herbs In My Backyard series! :D ("Magic Bullet" will make it so much easier to whip up a dandelion smoothie, for example!)


There is now a nice little line up of fun things on the counter: small crock-pot, coffee grinder, bullet blender, and mini ramekins. The shelf above that has a row cook books, tea cups, and a glass measuring cup with wooden spoons!  I still have boxes to unpack, herbs to store, and a lot of puzzle-like rearranging to do before it's finished, but I'm so grateful to have shelving and a cabinet to store things in. Right now the lovely pink tinted mason jars that were gifted to me by my mother are waiting under the sink. Once all the boxes are through being moved around, I plan to bring those out and set them in a dainty row across the top of the nearest bookshelf. :) They will bring out the pink in the little sconces that were souvenirs (at a great price of a few cents each!) from my last trip up north.


Read more about my kitchenette: Kitchenette Update part 1, Kitchenette Update part 2: My Favorite Cookbooks , Kitchenette On Hold (and Not Complaining), Bats in the Belfry ...


What are you favorite things about unpacking? Do you have a little tiny kitchen too?


I'm happily sharing this on some links ups Art of Homemaking Monday @ Strangers & Pilgrims,  Homemaking Link-Up Wednesday @ Raising Homemakers - was inspired to write this up by both them and the post at Rage against the Minivan that everyone's talking about this week!
Edited 6/2/14 

2 comments:

  1. I had a small kitchen when I first got married. It was easy to clean which is good :) And those pink jars you speak of, you have my interest there. They sound beautiful! Have fun organizing, it is my favorite part of homemaking! Thank you for sharing your post on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. Please join us again this upcoming Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, small for cleaning is such a plus! Once it's all in place, I'll share more photos - maybe on the facebook page; the pink should hopefully be a running accent theme. :) Thank you for leaving a comment! Hope you find more interesting things while you're looking around here. :)

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Other ideas or sources? Share 'em here!