"He causeth the grass to grow for food, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth a man's heart." ~Psalm 104: 14-15

Monday

Herbs in my Backyard: Chickweed




Stellaria media commonly known as chickweed.  It's a bit late in the season to be harvesting this around here.  But since I was able to find some still hiding away under an old claw-footed bathtub, I was able to get some more photos - and even try one of the recipes I'd saved.  :-) 


 
Chickweed Round-up


So here are the best links I found for info, recipes and ideas on chickweed. Read through them for a bunch of reasons you might want to keep some of that so-called "pesky weed" around:


"Chickweed... A member of the Pink or Carnation family (Caryophyllaceae), it is related to some of our prettiest wildflowers."  -source


Jill's Home Remedies: chickweed pesto (with almonds)

This ^ is the recipe I tried first from the list of chickweed recipes I came up with (adding more all the time to the pin board). I liked the texture the almonds gave it, and the cheese was a good call for flavor. (The only trouble I had was not having any fresh basil and using slightly-too-old chickweed. So the flavor of mine wasn't as good as this recipe would make it!)  Have you tried any chickweed recipes? Leave a comment and let me know what's best!



If you still decide it's a weed to be puled, you could...


Select any of the following to see more of the Herbs in My Backyard series: intro, dandelions.


This post is has been shared in the following link-ups: Natural Living Monday @ Natural Living Mamma, Real Food Friday @ Mary's Kitchen & Organic for Green Living, Art of Home Making Monday @Strangers and Pilgrims, Capture Your Journey link-up #17.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of great uses for chickweed! I am going to have to do some foraging! Thanks for sharing at the Art of Home-Making Mondays~ Would love to see you again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to Real Food Fridays. I have a bumper crop of chickweed, I'll have to give some of these ideas a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies ~ It's been fun finding places to share! Thanks for leaving a comment, too!
    Lydia, let me know which ones you try, and how the turn out, if you don't mind. :) I've only tried Jill's pesto so far. I didn't have all the ingredients, so it turn out as great as her recipe is...have to try it again next year! One thing I might do is blend and freeze some chickweed; if it stores well that way, I'll try to save more of next year's crop (most of mine has tried out already).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew there were so many ways to use chickweed. You certainly have some great ideas here but where I live we don't get too much chickweed. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it fun? I've been looking up ways to use the wild herbs just growing in my backyard~love sharing them. Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully you can find some other wild plants that do grow in your area to turn into great food or remedies :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Finaorlena :) I got your email... It is just fine to leave this post up again and still go ahead and add another :) That way you have more exposure. Happy linking ~ JES

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Other ideas or sources? Share 'em here!