"He causeth the grass to grow for food, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth a man's heart." ~Psalm 104: 14-15

Saturday

What I didn't Know About Bats ... until they moved in!



There are a few reasons I'm sharing this post, mostly because of advice I've heard since finding out that bats were apparently the culprits, not mice, in the incidence of squeaks in my ceiling... Said advice almost never took into account that these bats had been living in my house while I was sleeping in there. The significance of this will be noted below, but it's Rabies Awareness Day ... please be informed!


Things I've learned since finding a bat ... and that more were living in my house:
  1. In some areas bats test positive for rabies more than any other animal
  2. Most people who develop symptoms of rabies, end up dying
  3. If a person is bitten by a bat, even a Dr. may not be able to find a mark

This concerns me. I've heard people saying they just shoo bats out if they find them in their house. The Department of Health explained the importance of testing bats that may have had human contact. (Though they are not a bat removal service, Animal Control came - under special circumstances - to remove and test the first bat we found in the house.)  Capturing a bat may not seem very complicated, but it has potential danger. The NY State Health Department has a video on how to capture a bat and explains when it's necessary. 

Did any of you see that old Dr. Quinn show where one of the semi-main characters dies of rabies? It was practically traumatizing, and certainly stuck with me! Though there is now a series of shots available (post-bite), potentially being in that situation is a pretty scary scenario!  The shots were something I had to take into serious consideration through the course of events. In the end, it was so helpful to be able to get knowledgeable counsel and information from a Public Health nurse and the Epidemiology Program.

 These two links contain more information and I found them helpful in my efforts to deal with the bat problem -bats living in the rafters of our little "tower." Though they are for a particular county, online searches can readily bring up other State and county Health Departments:


Have you ever had bats in your house? Did you know about the potential for unknowingly contracting rabies? 

This post is shared on: Front Porch Friday, Natural Family Friday, The Art of Homemaking Mondays...

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I had no idea! Thanks or sharing this information. Thanks for sharing on Natural Family Friday. Hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's crazy! Thank you ~ and thanks for hosting the link-up!

      Delete
  2. Yikes! That is scary to have bats in your house, more than just freaky, it is potential harm to your health. I did see the episode on Ingrid getting rabies! I cried my heart out that night. Very sad :(

    Thanks for sharing this information on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so sad! (And it always bothered me that some people would promise things that they weren't in control over. Made me even more upset.)
      Thank you JES, for always going to every link in your link-ups!

      Delete
    2. True, true about promising things like that! And it is a pleasure to visit this blog every time :)

      Delete
    3. You're so kind ~ I really enjoy Strangers & Pilgrims too!

      Delete

So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Other ideas or sources? Share 'em here!