"He causeth the grass to grow for food, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth a man's heart." ~Psalm 104: 14-15

Saturday

If you love me...

This post isn't an herby post...but it is what's on my heart for the day.

On My Heart for the Day

When I wrote about giving gifts as thanks to someone who's sacrificed for you, I had this on my mind. When I think about sharing my life with younger ladies, and encouraging them with what is most important in life, this is on my mind. When I think about many aspects of life and how I want to approach them, this comes up. ...

If you love me, obey my commandments.

and this as well;

We love because He first loved us.


Story from childhood, and how it's stuck with me all these years

When I was a girl and the family went out yardsale-ing, sometimes my mama would lend me a bit of money if I hadn't grabbed my change purse. Once, I had borrowed little bits here and there, and not having had a chance to pay her back, it was adding up. Finally, I tallied up the total and took my bills to repay her. I didn't have the exact change - and was surprised by the response I got to telling her I'd pay the rest later. She said it was enough, she would cover the rest, no worries. I was so happy! It wasn't a large amount -I really didn't owe her much- but knowing I didn't have what it took to pay her back, there was a combination of responses; relief, happiness and mostly, gratitude. I remember being so excited that I wanted to share that gift, letting it overflow into how I treated my siblings, with extra care and kindness... Later in the evening, I was thinking about the overwhelming-ness of it. And it hit me: this is how it is with the debt I owed, which has been forgiven, paid by another, no longer for me to worry about - Jesus had paid a far higher price, and debt more costly then I could imagine.... So what could I do? How could I pay that back? I couldn't, I knew. But in the same way my heart swelled with gratitude and thankfulness and wanting to do something to show it... I started praying about this. Lord, how can I show you my gratitude? My love? It swelled that day, and grew more than I'd known before.

The answer...

Then I found it. I'd heard before, but it hadn't meant as much then. Jesus already told us how we could "show" our love: If you love me, obey my commandments. ...maybe really he meant it more in a "you'll know the tree by it's fruit" way, but at the time I was so glad to find an answer to my question, and something I could do.  Obey Him. What did that mean? What did it look like? I started reading, and later writing down all these passages from Colossians, Philippians, 1 Peter and other epistles which had previously been somewhat obscure in my mind. There were instructions, an outline for the way to live that would be pleasing to the one who loved me so.


And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Take away

It's not about a list of rules, a legalistic requirement that I must fulfill, or even a way to heaven. We can't obey well enough to please the divine justice system and escape paying our debts. But if we have already had that debt payed -if we believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and live our life in the forgiveness He alone can offer - then we can live in a way that shows our gratitude, that pleases the one who gave the dearest thing to his heart, and at the same time have the blessings of living a righteous life.

Songs for the day








(Definition of Me and Broken are perfect for the day as well.)

A parting thought... "Famous Last Words" by Deep Roots At Home


 John 14:15 
1 John 4:8
1 John 3:23-4

This post is shared on Mama Moments Mondays link up.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this touching post. It's a lovely reminder to show our gratitude for all we have by following His commandments. The best of all is to love others as He has loved us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this post on mama moments. I am glad I hopped over to read. This is truly the right post for the weekend. A costly reminder, "If I love God, I should obey His commandments".

    God Bless Finaorlena.

    http://purposefulandmeaningful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? Do you have any suggestions? Other ideas or sources? Share 'em here!